Re-entering The Running GamePosted: November 4, 2011
I’m still injured but I’m getting back into running after my 3 week hiatus. For the last couple weeks I’ve been up to my ears with physio appointments! We’ve been playing it safe with my injury which was a Strained Ligament in my Left Heel. They basically treated it as though I had a stress fracture, since I have Osteoporosis ( I’m more prone to stress fractures). I had to be off my feet these last couple weeks so that left me with the bike, swimming, weights as my workouts. Although this week I was allowed to do; 2x 3k jogs and 1x 5k jog just to test out how the healing process was going.
Since all three jogs went fairly well. I can get back into running next week but only two runs and they have to be between 8-10k. As much as I am looking forward to getting back into running a lot of things have been playing on mind.
- First off I’m afraid of the length of time it will take for me to get my fitness levels back up.
- Being disappointed once I realize how many steps back I’ve taken from not being able to run.
- Last of all frustration! This is a big one for me. Right now I feel as though all my hard work these last few months have been all for nothing. Not being able to run at the same level or being able to compete in the races I had planned to makes me incredibly angry.
Having said all that! I am wiping my slate clean and reassessing my situation. From now till the end of the year it is not currently possible for me to run any races at my peak. So for now I will keep reminding myself that this is a temporary situation and I have to go easy. ‘Easy’ not a term in my vocabulary! But it is imperative that I don’t push myself too hard too soon, otherwise I will risk getting injured again or worse burn out.
Steps To Easing My Way Back 🙂
- Continue to focus on Core Workouts & Swimming ( I’ve found that I actually enjoy doing these workouts)
- Take up a Yoga or Pilates class
- Run Slow(er) yes I will force myself to slow my pace down and work my way back up to my normal pace
Overall my first aim is to be able to run comfortably again ie; pain free. Upping my mileage will be next on my list!
I’ve been pretty slack lately with photographing my eats. But here are a few that I did manage to capture 🙂
Start Small & Think Big 🙂