The Long RunPosted: July 24, 2011
Sunday for me traditionally has always been my ‘day of rest’, ‘lazy day’,’whatever I feel like workout’…you get the picture!? Hence on this day I would normally go for a long brisk walk or a light jog.
On the other hand my dad spends his Sunday mornings doing a 30km run! Just to give you guys a bit of background about my dad, he was quite a competitive basketball player back in the day (he used to train me in this too…but alas Basketball just wasn’t my sport). Now he runs in Half Marathons and Marathons and various other distance events.
Ok so just to get down to the point…yes there is a point to this post! Every runner knows that an integral part of their training program long runs need to be incorporated. Depending on what races you compete in competitively the distance and duration of your long runs will vary.
This is just a guideline: Race Distance/Duration of Long Run
- 5km: 15-20km
- 10km 18-24km
- Half Marathon: 21-26km
- Marathon: 28-38km
Supposedly our long runs should make up 15-35% of our weekly mileage in addition to being completed once every 7 to 14 days. Although for marathoners this is higher. The effort of this long run should also be easy with your heart rate in between 65 and 75% of your max.
Benefits of Long Runs:
- Improvements in producing energy aerobically
- Increase in the energy factories (mitochondria) of the muscles
- Increase in the enzymes that allow the mitochondria to process fuel for energy
- Increase in the number of oxygen carrying blood vessels in your blood
- Improve your bodies ability to use fat as an energy fuel
- Muscles will store more carbohydrates
- Musculoskeletal system will become more resistant to injury
- Increased mental toughness
So my question for you guys;
Do you go for Long Runs?
How long are your Long Runs?
How frequent are your Long Runs?
(This arrived on Friday in the mail. R4YL…my favorite running mag here in Australia! Spent a good portion of my weekend reading this cover to cover )
Well I’m off to Sunday Brunch! Also seeing Harry Potter this evening 🙂
Hope you all make the most of your weekend.